Updated: February 10, 2017 Fairmount Park Contact
Updated: September 07, 2016 Fairmount Park School Design Advisory Team
Updated: September 07, 2016
Address: 3800 SW Findlay Street, Seattle
Fairmount Park opened in 1964 and closed in 2007. Renovations modernized the building and a 12-classroom addition was constructed. Fairmount Park opened as a neighborhood elementary in Sept. 2014.
The project included complete renovation and modernization of the existing building and construction of a 200-seat classroom addition. This project added 500 seats to help address enrollment growth in West Seattle.
- Abatement and demolition of unnecessary site structures.
- Abatement and demolition of interior spaces as necessary to reconfigure for optimum use.
- Rehabilitation of building envelope including roof replacement, exterior wall updates and painting, and installation of energy efficient windows.
- Structural work and earthquake retrofitting including installation of roof diaphragm, tying roof structure to supporting walls, and installing lateral bracing systems.
- Interior finish work such as replacing floor and ceiling finishes and complete repainting.
- Addressing accessibility issues such as wheelchair access, restroom sizes, and accessible fixtures.
- Renovation or replacement of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Technology upgrades such as building-wide wi-fi and data networks.
- Installation of new fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
- Installation of new clock/intercom system.
- New furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Site work including new on-site bus load/unload zone, playground repaving and game line striping, energy-efficient lighting, expansion of the loading dock, and restriping of the parking lot.
Project Sustainability Features
- Centrally monitored energy management system for heating, ventilation, and power
- Lighting controls
- Finish materials containing recycled content
- Polished concrete floors
- Roof and exterior wall insulation exceeding code minimum R-value
- New energy efficient exterior windows with many oriented to maximize daylight but minimize solar heat gain
- High-efficiency boiler system
- Low-maintenance landscaping
Construction started: May 2013
School opened: Fall 2014
*Budget includes funds from Building Excellence III (BEX III) levy