South Shore School
Updated: March 02, 2017 South Shore School Construction Updates
Updated: March 02, 2017 South Shore School Photo Gallery
Updated: March 02, 2017
Construction Schedule Summary
April 2008 - Start of Construction
August 2009 - Construction is scheduled to be completed
September 2009 - The new school begins its 2009/2010 school year in the new facility!
Located in southwest Seattle, the South Shore School will be a new structure replacing the existing South Shore building. Though designed to meet growing program needs, the structure will still maintain its communal roots by remaining attached to the Rainier Beach Community Center and sharing a larger educational and community-use campus. Designed to symbolize community and inclusiveness, the new facility will provide a unique space for connection and unification of students while emphasizing personalized learning.
At this time 350 students are enrolled in grades Pre-K through Grade 5. In the fall of 2008 South Shore will expand to include preK-6. In 2009 the school will grow to include preK-7 and in fall 2010 preK-8.
The Design Process
A 30-member team, comprised of teachers, staff, students and South Seattle community members, worked collaboratively with the architects to determine the nees for the school and community, creating a design supportive of those needs.
The New School offers students a rigorous and multidimensional curriculum including:
- Integrated pre-kindergarten - most students enter our school at age 4; no need to re-enroll for Kindergarten.
- High/Scope curriculum framework for Pre-K and K.
- Sound Partners tutoring for K - 2 (in partnership with Powerful Schools)
- Writers Workshop (in partnership with Powerful School)
- Reading block (balanced literacy)
- Everyday Math
- District science kits
- Fully developed art and physical education programs
- Friday student-led spirit gatherings
- Active parent participation and “open door” visitation policy for families
- Comprehensive wellness program with attention to each student's development
- Coaching for students in problem solving, empathy & critical thinking
- Team Areas in Each Pod
- Small Group/Tutoring Rooms
- Pre-K and K-Pod
- 1st Grade and Special Needs Pod
- 2nd and 3rd Grade Pod
- 4th and 5th Grade Pod
- 6th Grade Pod
- 7th Grade Pod
- 8th Grade Pod