Hamilton International Middle School
Alexander Hamilton Intermediate School opened in 1927 and was Seattle’s first intermediate school. It was designed by Floyd Naramore, a prominent school architect, and has been landmarked by the City of Seattle’s Landmarks Preservation Board.
Renovations were designed to preserve the landmarked portions and remain true to the design of the building. The existing exterior was preserved. A large commons functions as both a lunchroom and auditorium. The new design included grade-level learning communities, two performing arts classrooms, a recording studio and a suite of practice rooms. The building also includes a fine arts classroom, a digital arts computer lab, and a technology gateway lab that combines a computer/engineering lab with a shop. A new gymnasium, with locker rooms and a fitness facility, was built adjacent to the school. A new playground was also installed.
The renovation of this historic building was completed in 2010 and re-opened to students in fall 2010.